Wednesday, October 11, 2006

More on Chalk and Fresco

After a couple days recovery and return to the rest of my life, I'm reminded of another relationship between fresco and street painting: the physical challenge of working quickly and effectively with your body in an unusual position. Ross King mentions many of the various afflictions Michelangelo bore in four plus years of painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling, including having later difficulty reading and drawing unless he was leaning back and looking up.
I am used to working on ceilings and other inconveniently located surfaces in my regular work doing custom handpainted murals and unique finishes, but I don't spend that much time on my hands and knees, so a couple of ten hour days street painting makes some impact on the body. That said, I had a great time this past weekend, getting to meet a lot of interesting people while getting some satisfying work done in the great vibe of Little Italy.

As I mentioned to many of you who came by the event, one of the great things about being the featured artist is that I'm not under the gun to completely finish my piece, as it has to come back to the studio for sealing anyway. Here's a picture of the featured piece set up at my studio to be finished over the next couple weeks:
Michelangelo's Libyan Sibyl, featured art for Corso Degli Artisti 2006, Little Italy, San Diego
Everyone, especially anyone who didn't make it to Cosrso Degli Artisti last weekend, is welcome to come by the studio to check it out during my open studio hours this month, Wednesday October 11 and Thursday October 12 3-6 pm and Saturday October 14 2-7pm. The address is 2279 L Street, San Diego, CA 92102, just east of Petco Park and the Gaslamp District, click here for map.
I took a lot of progress pictures over the weekend and will share a few of them next time, along with some more from Ross King's "The Pope's Ceiling" about how we construct these images and bring them to life.

No comments: