Saturday, July 26, 2008

Circus Room Children's Furniture Component

If you've been following either of the faux painting projects I've been writing about on this blog, or looked at the different blogs I've been writing for The Frame Maker, you know I've got a lot of stuff in motion at the same time right now.

Much like this time last year, when I had several projects going at once including my contributions to Currant, I've been crazy busy but documenting everything as I go for teaching and reference purposes.

Unlike last year, I'm actually getting useful stuff published online and connecting dots with a lot of different and interesting people through my marketing and sales work at The Frame Maker (more on that next week)instead of just working away up in a lift or in the studio all the time.

That said, one of the most interesting people I've been fortunate enough to meet and work with this year is San Diego woodworker Del Cover . Together we designed a children's desk and bookcase unit for the circus room I've been writing about since May, along with Rancho Santa Fe designer Sandra Osborn.

Here's the concept sketch I did for the visual look of the piece after Del, Sandra and I planned out the functions and dimensions in the space.

design sketch for children's desk and bookcase unit in circus theme mural room


Here's a detail sketch I made for Del of themed fascia piece and ornament. This top detail is removable so that down the road, the unit can be refinished to fit into a more adult decor.

design sketch for children's desk and bookcase unit in circus theme mural room


My inspiration for detailing this piece came from the concept of a circus wagon and a little online research for specifics. My gratitude to the Dover Public Library in Dover, New Hampshire for the having the following picture up on their website, which became our specific design reference for cabinet composition.

reference photo for children's desk and bookcase unit in circus theme mural room


So how did it turn out?

Check out the next few posts to find out.

No comments: