Wednesday, February 25, 2009

California glass artist Lea de Wit



As I said before, I'm very pleased with work we did together on the current show "Echoes" at The Frame Maker, and I'm putting up some pictures here today of the feature wall I helped contemporary California glass artist Lea de Wit bring to life in our showroom.

Inspired by the fluidity of Maire Scharpegge's 120" abstract water photograph at the other end of the gallery, we designed a custom wall installation for 14 of Lea's smaller vessels themed around water colors.



Here, Lea is laying out the pieces in front of the location. You can see we built a structural frame into the existing conference room window opening, which we then covered in plywood to support this and future art installations.

Next we made "section view" place holders for the different pieces and created a template for the mounting of pieces once wall was completed.



We mocked up the arrangement with the brown paper templates on fomecore on the floor, and then tacked the fomecore to the wall when we went to install. Lea commissioned clear acrylic shelves to mount into our reengineered wall, and her blown glass plates and bowls are secured with museum wax. We also painted a white panel behind installation to maximize the play of color, reflection and shadow of the pieces in the final installation.



In these last photos you can see interesting details of acrylic shelf installation and the lighting/ reflection/ shadow interplay of the wall.





1 comment:

A. C. Parker said...

I love the look of the glass installation! The play of light reminds me of the wave reflections that bounce off the walls of some indoor swimming pools--the glass pieces themselves seem to be the lapping waves of the Mediterranean. I have a real attraction to luminous blue (am planning my own post eventually on a blue stained glass window that had an effect on me), and I find Lea de Wit's work lovely. I'm glad to know about this artist, and have to say back at you, John: nice work, indeed!