Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Green picture framing | painting update

So much going on on the last day of the month I barely have time to write, and in April things really get busy.

I just finished another custom picture frame moulding project with The Frame Maker, this one with a "green" design angle, for San Diego architect James Brown of Public.

His new show, "The Third Country/El Tercer Pais" opens this week at The Athenaeum in La Jolla. Its the first installment of a three-part exhibition (continuing at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego this summer) that explores "...through models and drawings, the nature of boundary, and linear patterns that might later translate into new strategies of designing the frontier.”

These beautiful little conceptual drawings are presented in moulding I milled for Jim by request from poplar, a sustainable, fast growing timber that Jim has used for many of his project sin the past.



I'm writing more about this project and the green aspects of using this lumber and some of the other materials usedin Jim's frames over on The frame Maker's Design blog, so let me get on to some other fun here.

I am finally finishing a painting project from 2006 that some of you may remember as a chalk project that was one of the first things I wrote about on this blog. I will get into the whole long story in the next few posts, but here's a quick pic from my temporary back yard studio of the almost finished rendering of an Italian master that will be hanging in Little Italy in time for this spring's annual Art Walk event.



Stay tuned for more on ArtWalk over the next month as I roll out my new Artist Services program in conjunction with 2009 ArtWalk event sponsor The Frame Maker, ArtWalk and the SDSU Art Department.

No comments: