Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Dot connection



I love it when this kind of thing happens:

One friend of mine, photographer Mike Brown, calls me up to say that he saw some of photographer Maire Scharpegge's work at the new sushi place by our house here in Banker's Hill, San Diego.

Having been in touch with Maire fairly regularly since opening her show "Echoes" at The Frame Maker with glass artist Lea de Wit, I was a little surprised, and had to think about the connection, since I had nothing to do with these pieces being in this restaurant!

Since I was walking that way later, I decided to check it out for myself, thinking that I had only been there once since they opened, when I recalled that I had run into my associate Eric Gilliat (of Level One Art Installation) there with family. Eric had explained to me that he had known the proprietor for years at his previous establishment, and that his new place we were in Azuki Sushi was the best sushi in town.

Since Eric had been kind enough to assist us with the installation of Echoes back in January, where he met Maire for the first time, it became clear that Eric was the hookup between Maire and the restaurant. Now that's a creative community working together, especially because Maire's abstract photography, printed on stainless steel by local print masters Moebius Color, are PERFECT in the Azuki space:



Remember that we are so pleased with the original show at The Frame Maker that we extended it through April, when (I just found out) Maire and Lea will then take "Echoes" to a booth at ArtWalk the weekend of April 25-26 in Little Italy. If you live in San Diego, you've got another month come down and see this terrific show!

No comments: